Monday, August 24, 2009

First Blogged Project

My project is to make my own headphones. When I say head phone I don't mean Crappy O.E.M. ones i mean I'm fixing to make a relatively decent sounding pair. It's going to definitely take a little bit for a project as ambitious as I'm shooting for to be done. I plan on before the year ends making three pairs. The first pair a relatively low end on era style, the second pair a somewhat high end active noise cancelling set which will be carefully done and I expect to take a while. The third pair, a high quality and advanced wireless set using a 1" bass driver and a mid range and high driver. This set is going to utilize large noise isolating ear pads similar to ones used on the Sony MDR-XB500 headphones. The electronics can be done in one day with my skill level of electronics. The first milestone has been made. I purchased all of the drivers needed for the on-ear and noise cancelling sets. The electronics for the on earset can be whipped together in just five minutes. The first thing to do is solder any old LED onto the driver to give a nice back lit effect. After a gather more materials for the noise cancelling set testing and tuning (if all of the stars are aligned) will immediately begin. The second hardest part of this project is definitely the construction of the headset. I'm in the process of figuring out how they will be built. An aluminum construction is being thought about. There is no shortage scrap metal to be found in my basement alone all left to do is figure out how to cut it and bend it to fit my needs. This is alot to go through just to get Good sound from a Zune HD.

No comments: